In no particular order. Vox.com also has an article about a study of TV intros.
1. The Sopranos – “Woke Up This Morning” by Alabama 3
2. Attack on Titan – “Guren no Yumiya” by Linked Horizon
At the moment (=back in October/November 2013) “Attack on Titan” is *the* anime to watch. Although I (always) prefer to read the manga.
3. Game of Thrones – “Game of Thrones” by Ramin Djawadi
4. Saber Rider – “Saber Rider Theme” by Dale Schacker
I don’t think that I’ve ever watched a single episode of Saber Rider, but I really like the opening song. It’s kitschy, but very well made kitsch: CAN YOU FEEL THE THUNDER INSIDE?! *WHIPCRACK*
5. True Detective – “Far From Any Road” by The Handsome Family
6. Baccano – “Guns & Roses” by Paradise Lunch
Another great anime intro for one of the very best anime series.
7. Darker Than Black – “Howling” by abingdon boys school
8. Dexter – “Dexter Main Title” by Rolfe Kent
10. Ergo Proxy – “Kiri” by Monoral
11. Elfenlied – “Lilium” by Kumiko Noma
IT HAS LATIN GOD DAMN IT.
12. Cowboy Bebop – “Tank” by The Seatbelts
Cowboy Bebop actually has a very good overall soundtrack (unlike most other anime), as well.
13. Entourage – “Superhero” by Jane’s Addiction
What would the American TV landscape look like without HBO? I don’t think anyone would be even able to locate it on a map.
14. Boardwalk Empire – “Straight Up And Down” by The Brian Jonestown Massacre
15. Tatort – Tatort by Klaus Doldinger
I hate Tatort. A lot. I thought my generation would put an end to it, but it doesn’t look like it… I really like the intro though.